Skip to content ↓
Gallwn, Gofalwn


Welcome to the Science Department

In a world where Science is so involved in our daily lives that a knowledge of its basics is essential, we pride ourselves on providing a broad-based collection of skills and knowledge to each of our students so that they may play their part in it.



Key Stage 3

This section is under construction

Key Stage 4


Which teacher(s) should I see if I want more information about the course?

Miss Baddeley or your current Science teacher

What course will I be following?

Most of our pupils at Dyffryn Taf will follow the Double Science Course (WJEC)

Double Science Specification

What kinds of things will I study?

We live in an increasing technological and scientific society in which an understanding of Science is important for all.

This course has a 10% practical assessment (during year 11) and 90% is assessed through theory papers at the end of both year 10 and 11. Pupils will study biology, chemistry and physics with specialist teachers and the overall qualification will be awarded as two full GCSE grades.

You will study aspects of all three sciences in this subject. The Biology topics include Keeping Healthy, The Use and Abuse of Drugs, Genetics and Evolution. In Chemistry you will study Fundamental Ideas in Chemistry, Metals and their Uses and Oils. In Physics, electric circuits, the features of waves and stars and planets are some of the key areas.

How will my work be assessed?

Assessment is by a combination of written examinations and a practically based controlled assessment.

The written papers account for 90% of the total marks and the controlled assessment task for the remaining 10%.

How can I progress my learning in this subject after Year 11?

If you enjoy the experience of studying Science at GCSE, you can go on to study any of the three sciences (chemistry, physics, biology) with us here in the Sixth Form at Dyffryn Taf.

This in turn could provide a pathway to a wide range of university courses, which could lead you into career areas ranging from astrophysics and computing through engineering, forensics, geology, medicine, veterinary science, dentistry and physiotherapy to space research and zoology.

Key Stage 5

We offer the following options post-16.

Please click on the relevant link button below.